On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Nicholas Block wrote:

>  We're looking into a couple different ferry services.  Unfortunately, the
> Yankee Fleet website is not working for us right now, so I can't look into
> their specifics.  Does it only visit Garden Key like the Sunny Days trip?
> How long does their trip stay?  And concerning either trip only to Garden
> Key:  What specialties can we expect to see if only traveling to Garden
> Key?  I've gotten the impression that Sooty Tern and Magnificent
> Frigatebird (assuming they have arrived by March 7 or so?) will be easy
> because they nest on Bush Key nearby, but what about noddies (I know Black
> is rare anyway) and boobies?  Also, when do Roseate Terns arrive?  Thanx

The fast ferry (2 hrs to Garden Key) gets you there about 10 am, and
you'll have till about 3 to bird the fort.  Sooty Terns and frigatebirds
are everywhere, as are Brown Noddies.  Good luck on the Black Noddy--in
some recent springs, there has been none, in others as many as 4, but
you'd need a kayak or something to paddle over to Bush Key where they (and
the Brown Boobies) often roost.  You can usually find Brown Booby and
Masked Booby (latter toward Hospital Key) by scoping from atop the fort.
You may also see some Brown Boobies in flight on the trip over.  Possibly
also Roseate Terns, but that's tough.  Always a (slim) chance of a
Red-footed Booby hanging out and a tropicbird on the trip over or
saoring over the fort.

Brad
Brad Bergstrom, Ph.D., Professor           TEL  912-333-5770 /-5759
Department of Biology                      FAX  912-333-7389
Valdosta State University                  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Valdosta, GA 31698-0015                    Home: 912-333-0743
           Home Page-- http://www.valdosta.edu/~bergstrm/