This morning (2/5) there was another spectacular flight of Red-throated
Loons off Jacksonville Beach.  My count was 209 between 7:40 and 8:35 am.
All but about 20 or so were flying north.  I also saw three or four
Pomarine Jaegers.  No ducks today.

The report of Red-throateds as far south as southern Volusia County by John
Puschock raises the question of how widespread the loon invasion is.  The
picture could become a lot clearer is there were better coverage of the
coast.  Is anyone interested in a Loonathon this weekend?  It would be
great if there were at least one seawatch in each of the coastal counties
south to Volusia, or even further south.  The weather this weekend looks
like it might be good.  If anyone is interested in participating, I will
volunteer to compile the reports for posting to the list.  Forget dashing
off to south Florida to search for an exotic finch of uncertain origin,
drag your scope and a lawn chair over to the beach for a couple of hours.
:)  You never what you might see.  Both a Common Murre and a Razorbill were
seen at Cape Hatteras this past weekend.

Later...

Noel Wamer
Jacksonville, FL, US
[log in to unmask] http://www.badbirdz.com/
"Even in its most primitive form, naming is a kind of judgment."
                                                        (Walker Percy)