Bunche Beach, found at the end of, what else, Bunche Beach Rd., by turning
left (South) off Summerlin just before you reach the toll booth before the
causeway to Sanibel Island in Lee County, has, more often than not, been the
site of birds and species of birds in great numbers.  A typical day would
usually produce six plover species - with large numbers of Wilson's,
Black-bellies and Semipalms and a handful of Killdeer, Snowy's and Pipers  -
almost every known heron and egret, Skimmers, Oystercatchers, Spoonbills,
Marbled Godwit and Gulls, Terns and Sanpipers galore.

During the latest period of extremely low tides, cool temperatures and brisk
winds, the number and variety of birds has been somewhat disappointing.  A
recent trip at dead low tide (not the ideal time, I know, as the water
recedes so far that the birds which are present are widely scattered)
produced NO Wilson.s, Snowy's or Pipers, NO Red Knots, Spoonbills, Skimmers
or Oystercatchers and very few Terns.  As always, there were a couple of
relatively unusual sightings to keep the trip from being a total washout.   A
pair of Great Black-backs joined the Laughing, Ring-billed and Herring Gulls
and an immature Bald Eagle took over a small sandbar for an hour or two.  A
small group of Pectoral Sandpipers were found amidst the Least and Western
"peeps", Dunlin, Dowitchers, Sanderlings et al, but for the most part it was
a lot of slogging across the mudflats in hopes that the flocks of birds
wheeling in flight in the distance would settle down close to the birders and
produce more of the "usual suspects".

Maybe now that the tides are returning to something close to normal and the
series of recent cold-fronts are being replaced with balmier breezes, my next
report will be better.  (I would hate to have to resort to trips to Fort
Myers Beach during "The Season" as one could waste the better part of an hour
in traffic just crossing the bridge from South Fort Myers.)

Dick Beeler
Fort  Myers, FL