The following report is being forwarded to the list by request of the
author.

Cheri Pierce
Apopka,FL

------------------------------

This is a belated, but hopefully well received, report. While videotaping an
adult peregrine falcon at Ft. Myer's Beach around 8am on the morning January
17th, I heard a TROPICAL Kingbird calling at least six times from Estero
Blvd (approximately 7100 Estero Blvd).

By the time I had walked all the way back around the lagoon, grabbed the
van, and driven south down Estero all I managed to see was the tail end of a
yellow bellied kingbird heading east towards a patch of mangroves. Although
I was positive that I had heard the call of Tropical kingbird, and seen a
yellow bellied kingbird, I found myself spending the rest of the day
pondering whether a) it was possible for any starling to make that good a
tropical kingbird call b) how would a starling in Florida learn a tropical
kingbird call c) was I linking together two unrelated common incidents?: ie
the calls of a sevant starling and a not too rare western kingbird?

I now have to admit that greatest of all birding sins - I chose not to tell
anyone. I was going to, but work, margaritas and more sun dulled my birding
intentions, and I didn't think anyone would be too thrilled about chasing a
heard tropical kingbird, that had never been grounded with notched tail
feathers and head pattern. Two days later I flew to Costa Rica and to other
dreams, but tropical kingbirds were everywhere reminding me of the one I
heard in Florida. So when I got back, I decided to post something on
Floridabirds. Imagine my surprise when I read in the Archives that a
tropical/couchs kingbird was seen practically inches from the very spot and
within a few days of when I had heard the bird!

It is a strange world. But I think this observation certainly sheds some
light on the identity of the tropical/couch's kingbird seen at this location
at least.

  Cheers,
    Tom

Tom Hince
Wild Rose Guest House              On the web at:
http://www.netcore.ca/~peleetom
RR#1 (21298 Harbour Rd.)
Wheatley, ONT.                                 (gateway to Point Pelee
National Park)
N0P 2P0    Canada
(519) 825-9169 (ph/fax)                     Email: [log in to unmask]