Hello,

Mike Forman meant to post this message to FLORIDABIRDS-L.

  "i've just returned from the e.n.p., and i thought i should add my 2 cents.
first of all, i'm not in the same category, as bill pranty or some of the
others,
but i was in az last spring, and saw/heard tropical kingbirds @ keno springs.
they were making a racket, making their twittering calls.  @ mahogany hammock,
around 0830 on saturday the 3rd, there were 2 kingbirds present, along with
the
scissor-tailed flycatcher.  the lighting was poor, as a fog was in the
process of
burning off.  the k-birds were active, one preening, and the other feeding.
however, the 2 kingbirds stayed far apart. about a half dozen blue jays
showed up
and one of the kingbirds let loose a twittering call while departing its
perch,
that instantly reminded me of keno springs. the kingbird flew to the top of a
high snag at the edge of the hammock. the second kingbird, after about a
minute,
flew in to a snag adjacent the first. by this time, i had my scope of the
first,
and was convinced (by the dark mask, and relatively long bill) that it was the
tropical/couch's kb.  i did not detect white outer edges of EITHER bird, but
the
second bird had obviously been bathing, and was quite wet. while i was
looking at
the tropical/couch, the second kingbird flew into the same snag, and the t/c
kb
repeated (emphatically!) the twittering call until the second bird left the
snag.
that's MY story (and i'm sticking to it)!

   i would like to add that the floridabirds listserve is one of, if notTHE
best, listserves in the country.  i find myself not only reading, but saving
some
of the postings for future reference, and because i find the exchanges
fascinating.  thanks to noel wamer, for his extra efforts, and doulbe thanks
bill pranty for his contributions to the discussions, and, of course, updating
(and improving on) the old lane's guide. bill, your guide is invaluable, AND
it's
the best!"

signing out (until next year!),
mike forman
salt rock, wv

I also received an email from Murray Gardner ([log in to unmask])
and he states "THE BIRDS (Tropical Kingbirds) I HAVE OBSERVED IN
AZ, CA & TX ALL GIVE A TRILLING CALL!!"

Good birding,

Wally George
Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.