Michael Meisenburg called with a couple bits of interesting news. A colleague told him she'd seen two Purple Finches this morning, at the Biological Survey/Center for Wetlands complex on CR-232 a couple miles west of NW 43rd Street, all the way in the back near the fisheries ponds. Michael suggested to his colleague that they might have House Finches instead, but she insisted they were Purples. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm or deny tomorrow.

Michael also reported finding a mockingbird nest containing a downy nestling on the university campus. The earliest egg date given in Stevenson and Anderson's The Birdlife of Florida is February 6th. Assuming the nestling is about three days old, incubation must have commenced about the 31st of January.

Lastly, let me invite you to peruse the Alachua Audubon Society's recently-improved web site at www.flmnh.ufl.edu/aud. It contains tons of birding information. We're still working on it, so we'd be delighted to hear any suggestions or corrections.

Rex Rowan
2041 NE 15th Terrace
Gainesville, FL  32609
(352) 371-9296