When I ran into Dr. David Steadman at the Florida Museum of Natural History this morning, he reported having seen a white-morph Short-tailed Hawk in NW Gainesville on February 19th. This afternoon I forwarded the details of the sighting to Ken Meyer - who read my message immediately upon his return from checking a Short-tailed Hawk nest site near Gulf Hammock (Levy Co.) and a presumed nest site near LaCrosse (Alachua Co.). He told me that the Gulf Hammock bird, a white morph male outfitted with a radio-tracking device, was still in South Florida on February 6th but gone on the 15th. Ken picked up his signal at the Gulf Hammock site today, and when he made a visual check he found the male sitting in a tree a few feet above a larger, dark morph bird - probably the same female with whom he's nested (unsuccessfully) the past two years. He did not pick up any signal from the Alachua County bird, who was likewise present in South Florida on the 6th but gone on the 15th.

Rex Rowan
2041 NE 15th Terrace
Gainesville, FL  32609
(352) 371-9296