Opps! I almost forgot to report the Red-necked Grebe. Today (2-28-01) I took my bird class to Destin where we discovered a Red-necked Grebe in the Destin pass near Noriaga Point (probably misspelled). This is most likely the same bird that was in Gulf Breeze earlier this year. To see the bird you will need a scope. Take Hwy. 98 to the far west side of Destin. You will find Fat Tuesday's (a bar) at the foot of the Destin bridge. It is on the south side of Hwy. 98, the last thing before you leave Destin and cross the bridge onto Okaloosa Island. Pull into the parking lot of Fat Tuesday's and Park behind the building. This is an excellent point from which to view Destin Pass and Noriaga Point (the very end of Holiday Isle where you find many gulls, terns and shorebirds). From your perch behind Fat Tuesdays you can see over Noriaga point into and across the pass. Scan the waters of the pass carefully for the grebe. When I saw the bird (8:15 a.m.), it was just over the sandy shores of Noriaga Point, directly south of Fat Tuesdays. It was feeding with several loons. DeLorme pg. 45: A,2

Isn't it ironic that I should find a Red-necked Grebe on Ash Wednesday behind a bar named Fat Tuesday's?

Good Luck & Good Birding,
Alan W. Knothe, The Birdman
Nature Tours by Alan
www.birdtours.com