David Wahl and I checked out the La Chua Trail this morning and ran into a mother lode of sparrows. Most were in the brush south and west of the stable, and along Sweetwater Dike (now officially open for a quarter-mile or so, to the second bend). Our tally follows:

Field Sparrow  7
Vesper Sparrow  7
Savannah Sparrow  35
Song Sparrow  3
Lincoln's Sparrow  1-2
Swamp Sparrow  1
White-crowned Sparrow  22 (ties previous one-day high count for Alachua County)

It's spring. Yellow jessamine was blooming, two Ospreys had taken possession of a nest on a power pole, and - while a distant flock of Greater Sandhill Cranes gained altitude over the Prairie, probably starting north - two of our local Sandhills were doing the Love Dance, bowing and jumping and opening their wings and fluffing their feathers. (How come human beings get stuck with roses and expensive restaurants, while all cranes have to do is jump around in a field? I am all for jettisoning the first practice - which very obviously doesn't work anyways - and trying the second. Even better, outfit all male humans with a dewlap, an expandable red throat pouch like an anole's. That would really simplify things.)

Finally, after concluding some business in Bell and Trenton this afternoon, I checked on the Western Kingbirds I saw along SR-129 south of Trenton in December. At least one of them was still there, perched on a telephone line a few yards south of where I found them the first time.

Rex Rowan
2041 NE 15th Terrace
Gainesville, FL  32609
(352) 371-9296