I usually direct staff to keep the original draft, "significant
iterations" and the final, for both printed and digital works.  For
paper items, a significant iteration would be a draft that circulated
for comment among a project team.  For electronic works, the original
draft might be storyboards and a significant iteration could include
accessible assets - for example uncompressed images - before final
processing into a final product.

This advice still falls under staff discretion, but it provides a
guideline so that they don't (always) feel the need to keep
everything.

Hope that helps.
Susan

--