I would add another component to Dean's description. My archives is a
research facility as well as the place where permanent records are housed.
As an archives we are open to our community (students, administrators,
faculty) and the public and provide access to the materials for research.
My inactive storage space on the other hand, does not provide any direct
access. We will pull files when needed and return them to offices but the
space is not intended for any use other than storage of records until their
time of proper disposal.

Jan Blodgett
College Archivist and Records Management Coordinator
Davidson College, Davidson, NC