2/9/01

        Mr. Thomas:

        I suggest that you call the Society of American Archivists (312-922-0140)or
check their publications catalog at
http://www.archivists.org/catalog/catalog/index.html and order *A Modern
Archives Reader*. Much of weight has been written and published since 1984
(the date the Reader was published) but the Reader contains three excellent
articles on records management and records centers, as well as various now
classic articles on archival functions.

        I would make the same recommendation to anyone else seeking an introduction
to these fields. The Reader would be only a start, but it is a start.

Ed Southern

Edwin Southern, Ph.D  ([log in to unmask])
Head, State and University Records Unit
Department of Cultural Resources
Division of Archives and History
Archives and Records Section