Good luck Chris. I hope this event will create a more positive response to your imaged records!

Brenda

Brenda Parnes
New York State Archives
55 Hanson Place, Suite 724
Brooklyn, New York  11217
718-923-4300

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/06/01 03:32PM >>>
I just wanted to thank everybody who responded both to the list and
privately. I know it's been said before, but this list is a great resource.

Since my post yesterday, I've learned that the structural damage will
preclude us from doing any salvage work for at least a week. Although I
still intend to call in one of the many fine vendors that were suggested, I
do not anticipate being able to salvage many of the damaged paper records.
The good news is that although this paper is current, and in nearly daily
reference use, the vast majority of it has already been imaged. I see this
as an opportunity to get folks to use their imaging system a bit more, so in
the final analysis, perhaps this is a good thing.

One other thing I should point out -- the affected storage area is NOT our
main records center. We utilize off-site storage and protect vital records
in a very thorough and responsible way. This is just one of those
'semi-active' storage areas that certain individuals in certain departments
(I think we all know at least one person like this in our organizations),
like to maintain on-site, no matter how often difficulties arise.

Also, as to being involved with emergency management for your building -- I
think Larry Medina and Peter Kurilecz should be commended for covering a
great deal of territory -- truly a great list that covers almost every
situation. Our situation is slightly more annoying in that, in addition to
being directly above a landmark transportation hub (subject to intense
security and intricate rules set forth by building management), this
building is just too big (50+ stories) to allow room for more than one or
two people from each company to be part of disaster response. Our Facilities
department has that honor -- and since I work closely with them on these
kinds of issues, that works out just fine.

Thanks again for helping me update my information,
Cris.

Cristine S. Martins, Esq.
Director of Records & Information Management
Parsons Brinckerhoff
1 Penn Plaza, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10119
(212) 465-5484