At 11:12 AM 05/08/2001 -0800, Ronald D. Illingworth wrote:
>At the University of Alaska Fairbanks, we have been discussing the pros
>and cons of mandatory placement.  We have a policy regarding testing;
>however, placement is purely a recommendation and compliance is totally
>voluntary.  I suspect this may be of interest to others on the list so
>could you respond to the list with the following.  I'll try and tabulate
>the results and provide a summary.
>
>1)    Do you use mandatory placement?

Yes

>2)    What tools do you use to make placement decisions?
>         a)    What tests

COMPASS         AND A WRITING SAMPLE,

>         b)    What prior experience
>         c)    What other tools

ACT OR SAT EXEMPT STUDENTS FROM PLACEMENT TESTS

>         d)    Student interview?
>3)    Is there an appeal process?

YES, STUDENTS MAY APPEAL THE RESULTS OF THE PLACEMENT TESTS.  THEY
MAY    RETAKE THE  EXAMS ONE TIME.

>4)    What results have you experienced as a result of mandatory
>placement vs voluntary placement?

STUDENTS DO BETTER IN CREDIT LEVEL COURSES.

>5)    What issues or concerns have you encountered?

YOU MUST GET "BUY IN" FROM THE ACADEMIC ADVISORS AND THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE
.  STUDENTS WILL, OF COURSE, TRY TO BEAT THE SYSTEM, AND IF THOSE PEOPLE
WHO HAVE THE POWER/ABILITY TO OVERRIDE RECOMMENDATIONS DO NOT SUPPORT
MANDATORY PLACEMENTS, THEY WILL ALLOW STUDENTS TO GET INTO CREDIT LEVEL
COURSES. YOU ALSO NEED TO TALK WITH YOUR COMPUTER NETWORK/DATATEL/BANNER
TYPE FOLKS TO BE SURE THAT THE REG PROCESS WILL WORK CORRECTLY.

>6)    What else is important to know?
>7)    Name of Institution

HAGERSTOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE

>8)    Public