on 5/3/01 9:56 AM, JANE KELLER at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I also notice a significant decline in tutoring numbers in the
> Spring.  Is there a way to overcome this problem?  Any other ideas about
> its cause?  I'd appreciate any input.  You may reply to my box at the
> address below.
> Thanks!
> Jane
>

> Jane C. Keller
> Academic Resource Center
> Box 167 Lycoming College
> Williamsport, PA 17701
> 570 321-4392

Here's a potential cause for less tutoring in the spring. During fall
semesters, a large group of first-time (and often unprepared) students
matriculate. They make heavy use of tutoring. By spring, fewer new students
enroll,  the weakest students haven't returned, and those who do return may
need fewer services because they have learned how to succeed. Maybe this
isn't a "problem" - just a normal cycle.
--
Dan Snook
Developmental Education Coordinator