Hi,
The species account in The Birds of North America suggests a Texas breeding
population of masked duck does exist and numbers at ca. 3800.  The bird is
"common" enough to occassionally show up in the "creels" of duck hunters.
Despite the low population sz. the species is not protected in Texas.  For
some reason there is a discrepancy between our field guides and TBNA.  Happy
birding and take care.
-Chris Borg
Big Pine Key,
PS
Interestingly, there is a perspectives article in this months "Birding" that
mirrors (somewhat) our discussion regarding birder perceptions of bird
beauty, and essentially the different perspectives of bird watchers.  They
conclude that there is no one right way to approach "birding."