I have been told that at least one AOL subscriber did not receive this
important post from Bill Pranty.  I am accordingly resending it.

Barbara Passmore
Listowner
______________________re-forwarded message________________

Dear Birders,

It's time to submit your bird observations for the Spring 2001 season
(March-May). These observations may be published in "North American Birds"
(NAB) and "Florida Field Naturalist" (FFN) the ornithological journals of
the
American Birding Association and Florida Ornithological Society,
respectively.

NAB has a much wider audience but a very tight word
limit, while readership in FFN is mostly limited to Florida but the report
has no word limit (although we have started to impose our own).

We will not be "plucking" any observations from posts to the Internet, so
please submit your notable sightings to us.

To make it easiest for us to compile your observations, PLEASE follow this
format when putting your report together. And PLEASE put all your
observations in phylogenetic order, not in random or chronological order.

Species
Number of individuals
Date(s)
Location (including county)
Observers
Details for species rare or difficult to distinguish from common species.
As an example:
Leach's Storm-Petrel: 53 at Playalinda Beach, Canaveral National Seashore
(Brevard) 23 Apr-1 May, with 32 on 28 Apr (Kurt Radamaker, David Powell,
David Simpson et al.). Identified as Leach's by the dark line in the middle
of the white rump, the forked tail, the nighthawk-like erratic flight, and
no feet projecting beyond the end of the tail. Photographs obtained by K.
Radamaker, posted to the Internet.

We cannot accept reports of rare birds submitted without documentation. This
includes all species requiring review by the Florida Ornithological Society
Records Committee (FOSRC; see Bowman 2000. Florida Field Naturalist 28:
149-160), as well as other species or groups that cause frequent
identification problems (e.g., storm-petrels, kingbirds, Empidonax
flycatchers), or may be escapees from captivity.
For reports of extremely rare species sent to the FOSRC, please send a
photocopy of your documentation to us, so that we know details have been
formally subitted [submitted].

Photographs (digital or otherwise) or scans (of at least 300 DPI) are
welcome for possible inclusion in "North American Birds," and as supporting
documentation for your reports of rarities.

We encourage you to submit your photographs also to the Florida Birds
website maintained by Kurt Radamaker
<http://www.javaswift.com/floridabirds>.

Please send your observations via e-mail if possible (but snail mail is
acceptable) to the regional compiler for your area (see list below).

I apologize for the lateness of this post. Generally, we ask that you submit
your observations to your regional compiler within 2 weeks after the end of
a season (e.g., by 15 June). Because I am sending this post out a week late,
we can accept your observations until 20 June. reports submitted ASAP are
greatly appreciated.

All observers whose sightings are published are acknowledged fully in FFN
and NAB.

As of May 2001, all three of the NAB seasonal editors for the Florida Region
are now members of the FOS Field Observations Committee, so all reports sent
to FFN automatically are sent also to NAB.

Thank you for your contibutions to Florida ornithology.
I would appreciate if this email is forwarded to the other Florida birding
Internet lists (e.g., Birdbrains, etc.) by the list-owners, or other
members.

Best regards,

Bill

Bill Pranty
Brandon, Florida

State Compiler, FOS Field Observations Committee
Spring and Fall seasonal compiler, North American Birds

Regional Compilers
WESTERN PANHANDLE (Escambia, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, and Walton cos.): Bob and
Lucy Duncan; 614 Fairpoint Drive, Gulf Breeze, Florida 32561, e-mail:
EASTERN PANHANDLE (Franklin, Gadsden, Jefferson Leon, and Wakulla cos.):
Gail Menk; 2725 Peachtree Drive, Tallahassee, Florida 32304; no e-mail
NORTHEAST FLORIDA (Clay, Duval, Nassau, Putnam, and St. Johns cos.): Peggy
Powell; 2965 Forest Circle, Jacksonville, Florida 32257; no e-mail
NORTH-CENTRAL FLORIDA (Alachua, Citrus, Columbia, Hamilton, Hernando, Levy,
and Marion cos.): Bev Hansen; 6573 Pine Meadows Drive, Spring Hill, Florida
34606; e-mail: [log in to unmask]
EAST-CENTRAL FLORIDA (Brevard, Indian River, Martin, Orange, St. Lucie,
Seminole, and Volusia cos.): Bruce Anderson: 2917 Scarlet Road, Winter Park,
Florida 32792; email: [log in to unmask]
CENTRAL FLORIDA (Highlands, Lake, Osceola, Okeechobee, and Polk cos.): Linda
Cooper; 558 Sunshine Boulevard, Haines City, Florida 33844-9540; e-mail:
WEST-CENTRAL FLORIDA (Hillsborough, Pasco, and Pinellas cos.): David Powell;
1407 Storington Ave., Brandon, FL 33511, e-mail: [log in to unmask]
SOUTHWESTERN FLORIDA (Charlotte, Collier, De Soto, Lee, Manatee, and
Sarasota cos.): Charlie Ewell; 1121 SW 11th Court, Cape Coral, FL 33991,
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
SOUTHEASTERN FLORIDA (Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe, and Palm Beach cos.):
John H. Boyd III; 15770 SW 104th Terrace, Apartment 103, Miami, Florida
33196, e-mail: [log in to unmask]