I checked all the Florida NEXRAD stations this morning.  The roost at Fort
Lauderdale was clearly evident.  The Melbourne unit was operating in
precipitation mode, and a large roost was clearly evident in the
southwestern corner of Seminole County, west of I-4.  The Mobile unit
showed a ring signature at the head of Escambia Bay, north of Pensacola.  I
presume all of these are martins, as it seems too early in the year for
large icterid roosts.  There was no obvious indications of roost signatures
at the Ochlockonee Bay bridge mentioned by Dozier, or in the Naples
area.  In the case of the former, I suspect that there are not enough birds
there now to be detected, as I was able to "see" this roost at times last
summer.  The Naples area is at the edges of both the Tampa and Miami units'
range.  At this distance the radar beam may be too high to detect roosts.

If anyone is interested in this type of monitoring use the following procedure:

1.  Go to http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar.html
2.  Click on one of the radar locations on the map.
3.  After the current base reflectivity image loads click on the link to
view the loop.  Loading a loop on a modem connection may take a minute or two.
4.  To see the roosts you must look between 6:00 to 6:45 am, so get the
coffee going early.

Later...

Noel Wamer
Jacksonville, FL, US
The Virtual 'Hood: http://www.badbirdz.com/dripperCam.htm
Check the latest garden pix: http://www.badbirdz.com/garden04262001.htm
"Even in its most primitive form, naming is a kind of judgment."
                                                        (Walker Percy)