This morning Russell McGregor and Al and I watched the Masked Duck from 7
to 7:45 at the mitigation wetland on Sheridan Street in Pembroke Pines.  It
was in the same area Larry Manfredi found it on Tuesday: straight ahead of
the "T" on the boardwalk.  It was diving repeatedly near vegetation that is
just in front of the last big area of open water, before the thick
vegetation starts.  Russell timed the bird, which would stay submerged for
20 to 25 seconds, then surface for about the same length of time, and dive
again.  Usually our first indication that he had surfaced again was
sighting his beautiful bright blue bill.  Finally he swam into thicker
vegetation to our right, and we were unable to relocate it again.

Then Russell guided us to the mitigation site south of Sheridan Street on
196th, across from the school, where we watched at least four White-tailed
Kites perched and flying among the dead snags in the west.

Bev Hansen
Spring Hill, Florida