This is my first posting to FLORIDABIRDS-L and I want to let my friends
up in the Gainesville area know that I'm back online with a new email
address and I'm settling in well with work down here at the marina.  On
to birding, there are probably a few Flamingos around but I've had no
luck seeing them for the last few weeks from the end of Snake Bight
Road.  I've spoken with a couple of non birder visitors who've said
they've seen three from canoes near Christian Point and Joe Kemp Key
over the past couple of weeks.  Weather permitting I'll try to get out
there by boat and check for my self next Thursday. The best place I know
of to find Mangrove Cuckoos recently has been Bear Lake Road, I've seen
or heard them the last two times I've been on that trail.  If you go on
any of the trails down here be prepared to deal with the mosquitos and
biting flies.  The mosquitos are at bad winter levels but haven't yet
neared their summer glory, the deerflies are still pretty bad, and
insect repellant doesn't do much to stop them.  About fifteen percent of
the cowbirds here have been Shiny, a male Shiny Cowbird sang in the
marina and visitor center parking lots for a couple of weeks but I
haven't heard him for a few days.