I received a call late this afternoon from Fort DeSoto, Pinellas County, where
Lyn Atherton was listening to two singing Shiny Cowbirds.  They were close to
the fort picnic area - on the wires.  They often go to the well  that's located
across from the picnic area.  Common Grackles are also there for good
comparisons. To get to this area from the park main road turn south into the
Gulf Pier entrance road. Apparently the cowbirds have been there singing for
some time, according to the ranger, although Lyn wasn't aware of it until today.

Bill Pranty wrote:

> I just received an e-mail from Bill Evans, a researcher at Cornell, who is
> visting Florida this weekend to try to obtain some bird recordings. One of
> Bill's targets is a singing Shiny Cowbird, an unlikely prospect at best.

Margie Wilkinson
St. Petersburg, FL