It had been a few weeks since I'd checked out Snake Bight from the road,
so this afternoon I decided to take my bike down to the boardwalk at the
end of the road and spend a couple of hours there.  The ride from
Flamingo was uneventful, Mrazek Pond was empty today but in past weeks
there have been Mottled Ducks and Black-Necked Stilts there.  The only
thing to distract me on the way down Snake Bight Road was a family of
Prairie Warblers, the juveniles were out of the nest and the parents
were still with them.  When I reached the boardwalk a Swallow-tailed
Kite was soaring low over the old fill line at the end of the road.
This was about the the only thing going on, so I made myself comfortable
and waited.  After about half an hour two immature white phase Reddish
Egrets landed at the normal high tide shoreline along with a Roseate
Spoonbill.  These had worked out of view to the east when an adult
Gull-billed Tern flew along the shoreline towards the east.  A little
while later an adult Bald Eagle came into view from the east and landed
a couple hundred yards east of the the boardwalk.  A few small flocks of
shorebirds flew by from east to west during this time, they included;
Black-bellied Plovers, Ruddy Turnstones, Willets, Dowitcher sp., and a
flock of four Marbled Godwits.  The other waders seen were in order of
abundance; White Ibis, Tricolored Herons, Little Blue Herons, Snowy
Egrets, Great Egrets, Great White Herons, and Great Blue Herons.

A Mangrove Cuckoo was seen from the tour boat early this afternoon along
Tarpon Creek, the passage between Coot Bay and Whitewater Bay.  I've
been having good luck finding cuckoos along Buttonwood Canal Road and
Bear Lake Road over the last couple of weeks and have been able to get
some good long observations of pairs hunting for food together.  They
seem to do a good deal of low volume vocal communicating which I've
found useful for locating and keeping track of them.  I hope to see and
hear some juneniles soon.

Bryant Roberts, Flamingo Florida