Now that the duck days of summer are upon us I felt a tinge of birding
withdrawal this Saturday. With the Masked Ducks (if ultimately they become
verified as wild birds) closing out a personally tremendous winter and
spring of birding (11 Florida lifers), upon completing my yardwork, I
thought I heard a Black-whiskered Vireo calling in my yard. Well, having 20
native species in my yard certainly paid off. I located the vireo in my
Gumbo Limbo tree (Bursera simaruba), #86 for 7500 square foot yard list. I
immediately quaffed a Red Stripe lager to celebrate my good fortune. This
morning while meeting with DERM and FEC Railway at the Village Hall I heard
another Black-whiskered Vireo calling , which turned up in our champion
Short-leafed Fig (Ficus citrifolia). I have never heard much less seen a B-w
Vireo in the Village and now two in just three days! While touring the local
canal system in hopes of establishing a hydrilla removal program, by
introducing sterile Triploid Carp, my tour saw an unscarred  6 foot Manatee
swim into the Miami River from the FEC Canal and later saw a Swallow-tailled
Kite over the Miami Springs Country Club. Life is good.........

Paul Bithorn
Virginia Gardens, FL
Miami-Dade County