Good afternoon,

        This morning, while conducting the Sandy Breeding Bird Survey, Austin and I saw an adult Crested Caracara along Clay Gully Road (rt 780) approximately two miles east of the intersection with Sugar Bowl Road (pp 98 B-1 of DeLorme Fla Atlas & Gazetteer), or approximately 6 miles into Manatee County from the western edge of the DeSoto County line.
        Other highlights of the nearly 60 species seen were;

    A singing Yellow-throated Vireo a 1/2 mile east of the caracara.
    Five Wild Turkey's a couple of miles further east on Clay Gully Rd.
    At Myakka River State Park, and from one standing point along the lake, we saw at least 300 Great Egrets, 125 Mottled Ducks, 250 Glossy Ibis, 20-25 spoonbills, a lone American Coot, a single Black-bellied Plover, and in one binocular view; seven turkeys, six hogs, four deer, and countless alligators along the far bank..
    At the bridge just north of the south entrance to the park were 22 Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks.

bird on,

Ron Smith
St. Pete, FL

P.S. - For you fisherman out there - a stop at the Pinellas side of the Skyway Fishing Pier was interesting.  We saw lots of people bringing in lots of Spanish mackerel.