From: David Shein [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 7:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: question about fall to spring attendance in your learning
center

Colleagues:

I hope you can help with this:

As I complete my end-of-term report for my Dean, I notice a decrease in
attendance in my learning center from fall to spring term-- fewer
students requested peer tutoring in the spring term than in the fall
term.  This mirrors my experience at my previous institution, giving rise
to a pair of questions: (1) does anyone else experience a similar trend?
(2) if so, to what to you attribute the drop-off?  (My current hypothesis
is that first-year students utilize  tutoring services in fall term
(their first) to kind of get their feet planted and then, after a
semester of college, strike out on their own.  If this is correct, usage
statistics should indicate a decline in usage among first-year students
from fall to spring.  I'm going to look into this but, in the meantime, I
sure would appreciate the thoughts of other professionals.)

Many thanks in advance,

Dave
--
David Shein