David,

We always experience the same thing, but there is usually a corresponding
decline in spring enrollment. We are a community college so that may be
part of the reason. Why don't you check what the enrollment is for the
Spring semester compared to the Fall?

Sandie Miller,
Director of Learning Assistance Centers & Support Services,
Atlantic Cape Community College

At 09:28 AM 6/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Colleagues:
>
>I hope you can help with this:
>
>As I complete my end-of-term report for my Dean, I notice a decrease in
>attendance in my learning center from fall to spring term-- fewer
>students requested peer tutoring in the spring term than in the fall
>term.  This mirrors my experience at my previous institution, giving rise
>to a pair of questions: (1) does anyone else experience a similar trend?
>(2) if so, to what to you attribute the drop-off?  (My current hypothesis
>is that first-year students utilize  tutoring services in fall term
>(their first) to kind of get their feet planted and then, after a
>semester of college, strike out on their own.  If this is correct, usage
>statistics should indicate a decline in usage among first-year students
>from fall to spring.  I'm going to look into this but, in the meantime, I
>sure would appreciate the thoughts of other professionals.)
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>
>Dave
>--
>David Shein
>Director of Academic Services
>Bard College
>Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504
>tel:  845-758-7811
>fax: 845-758-7646

"The illiterate of the year 2000 will not be the individual who cannot read
and write, but the one who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn."
                Alvin Toffler