At 06:00 PM 6/12/01 -0400, you wrote:
In our writing center, we have 10-12 academic assistants, who may work up to
29.5 hours per week at $10.74 per hour.  Several of them are adjunct
instructors as well, but all have at least a BA.  Whoever has time enters
conference notes into the database (Access), and I deal with reports,
editing, database maintenance, etc.  So far, I run 2 kinds of reports:
Instructor Reports (weekly), which include the student's name, instructor's
name, day of visit, length of conference (up to 45 min.), comments on the
assignment/material discussed, and the assistant's initials; Academic
Assistant Reports (monthly), which are based on student exit forms.  They
include the assistant's name, #1-#5 options for answers to 3 areas on
promptness, professionalism, and usefulness of the conference.  Students
may--and do-- add comments.  I use Excel to keep track of the number of
student visits by category, conference or computer use.  And I also use
Excel for staff budget numbers for reports to the dean. I also do
scheduling, but everyone participates.  And I delegate, but most of the time
we are so busy seeing students that not much in the way of R&D has been
getting done.  Maybe this summer. . .

We also have work/study students on an irregular basis to work at the front
desk greeting students and filling out cards for them, answering the phone,
running errands, etc.

Hope this is of use.

Marcella Sherman
Writing Center Supervisor