I'd love to see these responses.  Perhaps respondents could post to the group?

As for Bard, we're struggling with the same thing.  I got here two years ago
and instituted a mid-term alert program- letters go out to all students who
meet the criteria for academic warning or worse, inviting them to meet with me
or with one of the Deans of Students.  (A horrible sentence, that was!)
Follow-up letters and phone calls go out, and we try to do what we can to get
those students who respond connected with tutors, with study-skills sessions,
etc.  Similarly, students who are placed on academic warning probation are
referred to my office at the start of each term.  This works in a
catch-as-catch-can manner; those students who are most in need of assistance
don't respond, and those that do respond often do so too late for us to do much
good.  So Id like to formalize both the early warning system and the probation
system.  Love to hear what's working for others!

..dave

--
David Shein
Director of Academic Services