This is a very important topic -- especially for developmental students.

We have a one-hour per week (one credit) Seminar class each semester which has a
two-fold purpose:  to help students really understand what they want and how to get
there.  They produce a 7-8 part personal portfolio which in semester 1 focuses on
educational goals and analysis of where they really are right now in terms of
meeting those goals and what they can do to address the gaps, and career goals in
semester 2.  As well, the Seminar focuses on on-going academic advising with all
students throughout the semester -- formally at least three meetings; with some
students more.

While I like this system, so much depends on the student's internal motivation --
to want to learn and to use the support systems that are in place to help them.  We
can  encourage them and be aware of the types of help they need so that we can
direct them to them, but we can't do it for them.

I'd like suggestions for more ways to help students develop internal motivation.

Judith