We've had good luck with internships for specific courses and/or knowledge areas.  Perhaps you could contact Math and/or Humanities departments for students who would want an internships with a focus in their
area.  Certainly most of the skills taught in a learning support center are applicable to all areas of study.  The key is getting their department to give them credit for their work.

I hope this helps.

Laura