Hi Mike,

An on-line tutoring coordinator should have excellent written communication
skills because that is the medium which he/she will use the most when
communicating with tutors and tutees. Another important item is to find someone
who is very responsive and can also communicate that through the written word.
This person will often be the first contact for the on-line student requesting a
tutor. The response should be warm, immediate, and to the point. Asking a lot
more questions puts students off. Make your request form get those answers ahead
of time so that when the human connection is made, it's immediately workable.

If your tutor requests are made through a website, it is appropriate that they
have some web design and publishing skills (to keep it updated) and/or at least
know the mechanics of using it. It is also helpful if they know Excel in which
to keep the statistics for you. You'll want to keep track of usage because it
will probably take off. Ours did. We also use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track
of the on-line tutors' hours. The tutors can just e-mail it in for the pay
period.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Sandie Miller,