I am surprised and delighted to see so many closet classicists among us!

So far my favourite suggestion for a single figure is Arachne, because she
was the producer of different network structures. As a woman, she was a
weaver of cloth with a basic grid (weft and woof) and more variable,
intricate, and beautiful images. As a spider, she made centralized webs.
More recently, she is a popular internet search engine.

We could also consider the enormous class of quest myths, in which a
hero/heroine/group set out on a search in which they are passed
along from one helper (or hinderer) to another along the way. This is
clearly the mythic origin of the small world research paradigm.

Bonnie