To All Networkers:

It has come to my attention that I failed to announce the article which was
published in JoSS last month.  I regret this, and am only now catching up
on a month's worth of email to discover this.

The article, "Network Role Analysis in the Study of Food Webs: An
Application of Regular Role Coloration"

http://www.library.cmu.edu:7850/JoSS/johnson/RoleAnalysis.html

is a particularly interesting application of regular equivalence.  The
article is unusual in that the arena the authors were working in is about
the network of species of animals rather than people.  While the quality of
the article was never in doubt, there was discussion among us (and the
reviewers) whether this article fit within the domain of the journal.  We
decided that building bridges to the field of biology was part of our
tradition -- for example, consider all the work on dominance relations
among chickens, deer, apes, and even ants done by many in the network
community, including Lin Freeman himself.  Moreover, as one can see in the
article, the authors' have provided an approach that is not only new to
this area of evolutionary biology but also have shown how the ideas and
methods of regular equivalence shed important light on this problem of
study.  This article is a perfect illustration of how the concepts and
implications of social structure reach far beyond the realm of human
interaction.

-David

David Krackhardt, Professor of Organizations
Academic homepage (address, etc.): http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/~krack/academic/

Journal of Social Structure:
http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/project/INSNA/joss/