From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Saraf, Nilesh
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 8:41 PM
Subject: Multiple matrices

Hello again everyone,

A colleague of mine has overwhelmed me with some 500 matrices.Each matrix is a 15X15 cognitive map. The expected hypothesis use QAP and are not so strongly supported.

Therefore, we are exploring how to cluster these 500 matrices into groups of matrices depending on certain characteristic of each matrix such as centralities of nodes, etc. The end result could be a few clusters where matrices in these clusters are similar in certain respects.

With this clustering, we plan to add dummy variables for these matrices in a QAP regression and hope to get more significance.

1. Is this a statistically valid thing to do?
2. Which software package facilitates clustering of matrices (unlike clustering nodes in a single matrix) ?
3. Running a QAP correlation on a hundred pairs of matrices is troublesome if I use the user interface in UCINET. Is there a way one can write a simple small program to automate this once the matrices are stored in certain known files? (e.g., like a SAS procedure)

Thank you.

Regards.
Nilesh Saraf