I suspect they use approximations.  Apparently China received quite a few
hits located in the center, which doesn't jibe with my understanding that
much of the high tech development is occuring near the coast.

A nasty possibility for a similar worm in the future is to use one as a
means of detecting unlicensed copies of the target OS.

Assuming the Internet is scale-free, in principle one could contain the
spread by taking down several key nodes, but obviously at the expense of
major disruption on the Internet.  (And I finally have a URL to show.)

http://www.nature.com/nsu/000727/000727-9.html

It would be interesting to see if the infection profile further supports
the hypothesis that the Internet is scale-free.

Jim