On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 10:27:16AM -0500, Jim GrimJim W Lai wrote:
> I suspect they use approximations.  Apparently China received quite a few
> hits located in the center, which doesn't jibe with my understanding that
> much of the high tech development is occuring near the coast.

The center blobs in each country are due to unresolved IP address
locations.  Answering also Barry's question:  CAIDA uses ipmapper
(www.ipmapper.com, apparently an own offspring) to assign geographic
locations to IP addresses.

Though obviously appealing (due to our familiarity with geographic
maps), I personally don't think this visualization is all that useful.
Code Red spreads by sampling IP addresses, not by infecting geographic
neighbors; so maybe an IP address tree would be a more appropriate
topology.

B.

--
Dr. Ulrik Brandes
University of Konstanz         | +49 7531 88 4263 (phone)