Hallo,

In South Africa, Black people have a strong believe in their
ancestors. A number of events are held to honor these ancestors,
or to perform some or other ritual. These ancestors form a very
strong binding force within societies -- if this is what you have in
mind.

The Thokoloshi is a mythical character -- a small human-like
creature -- male -- that must be avoided, since he causes a lot of
mischef, sexually harass women, etc. Many black people raise
their beds with bricks so that the Thokoloshi can pass
underneath...The closest thing I could think of that resembles this
character might be the Boogy man -- although not quite.

You could perhaps look at the Zulu culture, since they are still very
traditional and have a very rich tapestry of myths -- often
associated with animals and ancestors, giving rise to all kinds of
rituals, events, etc. The Zulu live in Kwa-Zulu Natal, one of our nine
provinces, on the eastern seaboard of South Africa. Try leads from:
http://www.southafrica.net or http://www.gov.za

On the side -- replicating Padgett's Florentine families network with
regard to South African tribes and inter-marriage would be quite
fascinating. As far as I know, this has never been done...Such a
study will help us to reveal a lot about present-day Black societies,
political affiliations, even medical conditions. Among whites, for
example, high cholestol and heart diseases are often associated
with certain Afrikaner families; this has been studied to a certain
degree.

Hope this helps...

Regards

AS du Plessis

Oh, by the way, my email address is about to change. How do I
change this re my SOCNET-subscription?