Interlocking Directorates:
-------------------------------

From http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/pubitem.jhtml?id=2395&sid=0&t=leadership :

"Khurana's interest in CEO recruiting began with work he initiated with HBS professor Nitin Nohria as a graduate student in 1994. ... "Perhaps the most important insight," he says, "is that CEO searches, as currently practiced, are likely to exclude many qualified leaders who fall below the sight lines of ***directors and their personal networks***."

Cognitive Psychology in Network Visualization:

From http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/routemaps :

"We have developed a set of generalization techniques specifically designed to improve route map usability. Our techniques are based on cognitive psychology research which has shown that an effective route map must clearly communicate ***all the turning points*** on the route, and that precisely depicting the exact length, angle, and shape of each road is much less important. We consider how these techniques are applied in handdrawn maps and show that by ***carefully distorting*** road lengths and angles and simplifying road shape, it is possible to clearly and concisely present all the turning points along the route."

Group Polarization in Cyberspace:

From http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/02/technology/02INTE.html?pagewanted=all :

"The discussion illustrated the phenomenon that Mr. Sunstein and various social scientists have called "group polarization" in which like-minded people in an isolated group reinforce one another's views, which then harden into more extreme positions. Even one of his critics on the site acknowledged the shift. "Amazingly enough," he wrote, "it looks like Sunstein has polarized this group into unanimous agreement about him." An expletive followed."

Social Contract for Public Community:

From http://dmoz.org/socialcontract.html :

"We foster a self-regulating community governed by community-driven standards. We encourage the community to regulate itself, and to provide the checks and balances needed to ensure that its members follow mutually accepted codes of conduct and editorial standards. We depend on the honesty and integrity of the volunteer editors to ensure the directory is high quality, user-friendly, and free of abuse."

---
Rich Persaud
CEO, Autometa Corporation
388 Market Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94111
voice/fax: 415.707.2003
www.autometa.com
Who. Where. When.  Why.