Condensed Matter, abstract
cond-mat/0107420

From: Soon-Hyung Yook <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:19:33 GMT   (9kb)

Can we stop the AIDS epidemic?

Authors: Zoltan Dezso, Albert-Laszlo Barabasi
Subj-class: Statistical Mechanics; Soft Condensed Matter

In this paper, we ask a simple question: with our intimate knowledge of the network topology, can we design treatment strategies that would restore the epidemic threshold, making the eradication of the disease again possible? Our results offer a simple but powerful picture: We confirm that treating randomly selected individuals cannot restore the epidemic threshold. We show that if the treatment policy is selective, targeting sexually more active segments of the population for treatment, it can restore the epidemic threshold. Most important, we find that no matter how weakly biased is the policy towards the hubs, the threshold is finite. Finally, we show that treating primarily the hubs is also fiscally the most efficient, as there are only a small number of hubs in a scale-free network. Our simulations show that more selective a treatment policy is towards hubs, less expensive will be, while obtaining better results than random treatments.

Paper: Source (9kb), PostScript, or Other formats

(N.B.: delivery types and potential problems)

Links to: arXiv, cond-mat, /find, /abs (-/+), /0107, ?