Another amusing observation re: the latest spate of worms and trojan horses:

I note with some interest that there are widespread reports of email
telemarketers (i.e., spammers) having become infected with the Sircam
"virus" (really a trojan horse).  For those of you whose mail spools
haven't been flooded yet, Sircam is the one which sends out messages
containing "Hi.  How are you?  I send you this file to have your advice.
[etc.]" along with a file from your hard drive (or, sometimes, just a
file with the same name as one from your hard drive).  Whether or not
the spammers are more vulnerable than others to the trojan horse is
debatable (this would depend on their use of Windows, and on the amount
of incoming mail they receive), but it is certainly the case that such
persons expose a wider range of alters to Sircam than the typical
person.  Why?  Because, of course, their address books are huge, and
contain a more random sample of alters than those whose address books
contain only regular interaction partners.

Of course, use some salt with this story: I do not know the extent to
which spammers are heavy Outlook/IE users (which would have to be the
case for the story to work).  But, in any event, I would think that the
reports must warm the hearts of those of you who are currently working
on models of HIV transmission....

      -Carter