and also the sociometric structure at a higher-order.  See Friedman et al Social networks, drug injectors' lives, and HIV/AIDS.  Kluwer/Plenum 1999.
  (Or see Friedman SR, Neaigus A, Jose B, Curtis R, Goldstein M, Ildefonso G,  Rothenberg RB, Des Jarlais DC.  "Sociometric Risk Networks and HIV Risk."  American Journal of Public Health 87(1997);8:1289-1296.)

For another complication of it, having to do with time-dependent infectivity dynamics as well, see Friedman SR, Jose B, Neaigus A, Curtis R, Vermund SH, Des Jarlais DC. (2000). Network-related mechanisms may help explain long-term HIV-1-seroprevalence levels that remain high but do not approach population-group saturation.  American Journal of Epidemiology, 152 (10), 913-922.

>>> Martina Morris <[log in to unmask]> - 7/24/01 6:29 AM >>>
It's not just the hubs, it's the connectivity.  See:

Morris, M. and M. Kretzschmar, Concurrent partnerships and
transmission dynamics in networks. Soc Net, 1995. 17: p. 299-318.

Morris, M. and M. Kretzschmar, Concurrent partnerships and the
spread of HIV. AIDS, 1997. 11: p. 641-8.

Morris, M., et al., Bridge populations in the spread of HIV/AIDS
in Thailand. AIDS, 1996. 11: p. 1265-71.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001,
Valdis wrote:

> Can we stop the AIDS epidemic by focusing on the high degree Hubs in the
> network?
>
> http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/cond-mat/0107420

 Blumstein-Jordan Professor of Sociology and Statistics
 Department of Sociology
 Box 353340
 University of Washington
 Seattle, WA 98195-3340