Dear PSYARTers,

I've taken the liberty of publishing on PSYART an editorial or op-ed piece of my
own, a mixtureof survey and opinion.  It's called "The Neurosciences and the
Arts."  This is a much expanded version of my talk at the 18th International
Conference in Literature and Psychology, University of Nicosia (Cyprus), May 16,
2001.Norman N. Holland, "The Alp: The Human Sciences and the Neurosciences,"  it
began life as a talk at the Center for Neuroscience Studies, University of
Florida, March 10, 2000.

The abstract is below.

                        --Best, Norm
Norm Holland

The neurosciences and the human sciences seek mind in two different ways. One
studies special populations under experimental conditions. The other proceeds
from the assumption set out by Chomsky and Freud, that whatever all humans do
must be innate in the brain. Combining these two approaches is leading to
insights into the arts. Understanding the brain processes that use universal
grammar suggest the special            “exercise” function of poetic language.
Metaphor as embodied thought is probably hard wired in the brain also. The
sociality inherent in our brains explains audience and reader response. Systems
in the brain for a persistent identity explain also the persistence of
artists’ styles. Infants’ experience with animate and inanimate objects may
explain our dual experience of literature and the arts: emotional and
analytical.