You might want to look at these papers as they are directly about the
interrelationship among trust, contracts, and economic exchange:

Bradach, J.L & Eccles, R.G. 1989. Price, authority, and trust: From
ideal types to plural forms. Annual Review of Sociology, 15: 97-118.

Husted, B.W. 1994. Transaction costs, norms, and social networks.
Business and Society, 33: 30-44.

Kreps, D. 1990. Corporate culture and economic theory. In J. Alt and K.
Shepsie (Eds.), Perspectives on positive political economy (pp. 90-143).
New York: Cambridge University Press.

Macaulay, S. 1963. Non-contractual relations in business: A preliminary
study. American Sociological Review, 28: 55-67.

Macneil, I.R. 1978. Contracts: Adjustment of long-term economic
relations under classical, neoclassical and relational contract law.
Northwestern University Law Review, 72: 854-905.

Telser, L.G. 1980. A theory of self-enforcing agreements. Journal of
Business, 53: 27-44.

Another highly relevant paper written for a sociological audience, but
containing similar arguments to Telser's:

Raubb, W. & Weesie, J. 1990. Reputation and efficiency in social
interactions: An example of network effects. American Journal of
Sociology, 96: 626-654.

Hope this helps.

--
Corey Phelps