Good job!

-----Original Message-----
From: Annette Gourgey [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 1:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Lest we ever forget

As a New Yorker I'd like to thank Lynn for her kind words, as well as all
fellow listers who are listening to the news and feeling concern for us.

I work at two downtown Manhattan CUNY campuses, both of which have been
closed this week.  One, Borough of Manhattan Community College, is a few
blocks from ground zero and is being used as a NYC emergency command center
for the next several days.  There was some damage to BMCC's auxiliary
building (though not to the main building) due to falling debris but I don't
know of any injuries.  (I am getting my information from www.cuny.edu.)

One of the things we are beginning to think about is what kind of support
our students will need from us when we return to school after the Jewish
holidays next week.  We will have counseling services set up, but issues may
come up in class.  We don't know how many of our students may have known
someone in the catastrophe, or may even have had jobs in the area.  If
anyone reading this has training as a counselor and can make recommendations
about how we  classroom teachers can respond, I would be extremely grateful
to hear your thoughts.

I was speaking to someone on the phone today and when I asked how she was,
she said, "I don't know yet."  I think all of us here are still stunned, in
a nightmare from which we can't wake up.  I say this as someone who was not
in the area at the time, nor has any loved ones personally injured.  But we
don't know if we will ever feel the same living in our city, or what the
future holds.

My heartfelt condolences to go all who feel affected by this, however
directly or indirectly.

Annette Gourgey
CUNY