Listers,

I really need your input.  My lab is in a budget crisis.  I have been asked to cut my budget for this year in half.   We are 5 weeks in to Fall semester and now I must make major adjustments to my schedule.   With out going into the politics of the situation, I am looking for more information about how other labs operate to help the most students for the least amount of money.  I think I am going to have to do more than cut back hours of operation and I am looking for ways to improve the service we offer as I make changes.

FYI.  This is how we currently operate.  UVSC have an FTE of about 12,000 students and about 20,000 total students.  We have an open math tutoring lab with seating capacity of about 60 students.  Through out the day we generally have anywhere from 10 to 45 students in the lab.  The number of tutors varies according to busy-ness of the lab with a maximum of 5 tutors.  When a student has a question he/she puts up a flag to signal their need for a tutor.  Tutors float around the room and answer questions.  There are many times during the day that the tutors can not keep up with the demand.  We offer 27 hours per week online tutoring which is not being utilized enough.  We also offer about 12 hours per week individual tutoring for students who are seriously struggling with math.  The demand for individual tutoring is greater than the supply.  All services are free to the students.

Thank you for any insights you can share.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Coordinator, Math Tutorial Services
Utah Valley State College
800 West University Pkwy