Carol,

There still is equipment available to create microfiche of each of your
patients files.

Before concentrating on microfilming yourself you might consider having a
service bureau put your files on roll microfilm for permanent storage and
then scanning the film to create digital images. You could store and
retrieve the files in your office or the service bureau can store the
images on their servers and you retrieve as needed.

If microfiche is the media of choice for your office many service bureaus
(including FYI) offer the service of converting the paper files to
"up-dateable" fiche. You can the spend your funds on a unit that will scan
the fiche images on demand, thereby replacing the old Reader/Printer.

Many options to consider; glad to help you narrow it down.

John

Medical
> Records Director, refuse to have records retired, unless they have a
backup
> system by which they can access records ASAP.  These records are in need
of
> retirement (retention, deceased patients, etc.).  I understand their need
> have access to these records (just in case), but the situation as it
stands
> (too many files in basement) warrant something be done and I mean
> immediately, to resolve this situation.
>
> Background Info:  This is a medical office w/five doctors, records upon
it's
> retention and use (fiscally) are retired to the basement (which at this
time
> is in violation of securing records upon retirement in a safe environment)
> where records are too close to water sprinklers, too many, etc.  My only
> hope
> and answer to this situation is to microfische the records, then retire
the
> actual records to a records holding area.  I think this will appease them.
>
> So, associated members and commrades in records management HELP.
>
> Carol Allen
> Medical Records Director

--- John Glover
--- MDS/FYI/AGFA