From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of firelock
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 1:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ARMA could help out in this New York Disaster

I keep hearing reports that paper records are strewn all over the streets
and side walks. These are the records of many great United States companies
and while they are not as important as human life, it could be a sign to
terrorists that we are indomitable in our spirit if ARMA were able to help
recover records.

If Iron Workers can show up to help the recovery process in the building
materials which is their specialty, WHY CAN'T ARMA DO WHAT IT DOES BEST?

Could the Presidents of the New York and New Jersey Chapters contact Mayor
Juliani's office and volunteer our expert assistance in helping recover and
save records. These are blowing all over town and this could be a concerted
effort of professional from ARMA, AIIM and PRISM.

We would get records box companies to donate boxes and we could travel into
New York and box up records and categorize them by companies or types. PRISM
could send in trucks to load the boxes and provide a warehouse space to
temporarily house the records.

This would be a truly noble thing for records managers to do. If someone in
New York has connections to the Mayors office, please let us know. I know I
would take the time to come in and be part of the picking up crew. We could
wear white shirts with ARMA printed in bold marker so the police would know
we are there for a purpose.

We have some powerful records managers in New York, some who work for the
City and State. Please see if we can help and I will start driving over to
be part of the crew.

I know many of the PRISM members from the New York area and I believe that
everyone would be willing to help. But we need records managers to spearhead
this.

I don't know who the New York Chapter Presidents are but maybe Alan Andolsen
or Fred Grevin or Bill Lynch who are very respected in New York could make
this happen. So many of us want to help and here is a way to make it
happen.THIS IS WHAT WE DO BEST, LET'S GET IN THE GAME.

I am on Digest, so please copy me on your post if it is about this program
going forward. I could be there in two hours if ARMA can get support for
this.

Hugh Smith
(610) 756-4440