Ginny,
Did the commentator say they have electronic backup copies of stock
certificates laying on the ground all the way over on Coney Island?
Childress

From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of Jones, Virginia
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 10:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ARMA could help out in this New York Disaster

A great idea and a noble thought, Hugh.  However, I'm afraid that the area
with the greatest concentration of scattered paper records is off limits to
all but emergency workers.  By the time anyone would be allowed in to
salvage the paper, most of it may be damaged beyond use or completely
destroyed.

There has been a great deal of discussion lately in ARMA about
de-emphasizing the risk management aspect of RIM.  Yesterday's events show
this to be unrealistic.  Last night, many non-U.S. stock markets took a
serious dive in reaction to the events - and the possibility that WTC based
financial firms would be ruined and/or their information inaccessible.  On
CNBC this morning, a commentator was stressing the fact that all the major
WTC firms, especially trading firms, have back up sites up and running and
that very little, if any, information was lost.  This made me realize even
more the impact that records and information has on lives and livelihoods
all over the world.  Yes, records and information salvage does and should
take second place to the rescue and safety of people.  But when we do our
jobs correctly, the records and information recovery can go smoothly and
with little disruption of the rescue efforts.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, MIT/LIT)
Newport News Dept. of Public Utilities
Newport News, VA