Hi all,
I've been a lurker on this list for a while, but I figured I might as well
post for once...  Went to Mayakka River SP this a.m., arrived about 8:30-9
to cloudy cool breezy conditions.  By the time I left the park the sun had
broken through and the heat was on.  I was hoping for some fall-out due to
the cool front coming through but it wasn't to be.  I only had two good
birds (one heard only) and the rest were the usual suspects.  Most of the
birding was done by car/road as the water is still high.  Here's the list.

Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Imm. Night-heron sp.
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill
Wood Stork
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Mottled Duck
NORTHERN SHOVELER (1 female cruising/fly-by, what a schnozola!  got an
excellent look)
Green-winged Teal
Osprey
Red-shouldered Hawk
Common Moorhen
Am. Coot
Lesser Yellowlegs
Mourning Dove
B. Kingfisher
HAIRY WOODPECKER (heard only, but I was bird raised in Massachusetts so I'm
confident of separating this call from Downy.)
Loggerhead Shrike
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
Fish Crow
Tree Swallow
B-g Gnatcatcher
Catbird
Mockingbird
Common Yellowthroat
Cardinal
R-w Blackbird
Common Grackle
Boat-tailed Grackle

The bird walk was closed, a large tree had come down over the walkway, and
the middle of the boardwalk was collapsed as well.  We did see one deer
while we were there, but not much else.  Just an enjoyable morning of
birding.

Also, as a belated post:  Last Wednesday (10/3, at dusk) I saw 2
Great-horned Owls perched about 100 ft apart in an undeveloped residential
area just north of Veterans Blvd. in Port Charlotte.  I was able to get good
looks for about 5 minutes before they flew.  We recently moved here from
North Carolina so I'm still getting used to the new surroundings.  I hope to
be getting my feeders up this week, and get time to bird my yard more
intensly -- like with binoculars!(duh)...  Maybe someone out there can
recommend a few local hot-spots to the Port Charlotte area?
Good birding to all, and I might post more instead of lurking.
Dianne Quilty
Port Charlotte, FL