Hi all,

We walked the Mounds Trail at Saint Marks NWR in a two-hour span (from 3 to
5) this afternoon. No Cinnamon Teal or Horned Grebe, but this is what we did
find...
***
Bird Report
Mounds Trail - Saint Marks NWR
Newport, Wakulla County, Florida
October 17 2001 - A.O.U. Order
------------------------------
Pied-billed Grebe (15)
Double-crested Cormorant (4)
Great Egret (5)
Snowy Egret (1-2)
White Ibis (6, overhead)
Wood Stork (1, overhead)
Turkey Vulture (1)
Duck sp. (6-7)
BALD EAGLE (6)
American Kestrel (2)
American Avocet (2+)
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (several - Lifer!)
Forster's Tern (1)
Mourning Dove (1-2)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (1)
Belted Kingfisher (2-3)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (4+)
Eastern Wood-Pewee (1-2)
Eastern Phoebe (2)
White-eyed Vireo (2)
Tufted Titmouse (2)
Brown-headed Nuthatch (dozens)
Carolina Wren (1)
House Wren (2-3)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (2, first of ths season)
Gray Catbird (4+)
Northern Mockingbird (1)
Brown Thrasher (1)
Yellow-throated Warbler (1)
Palm Warbler (2-3)
Common Yellowthroat (2)
"UFW" sp. [Unidentified Fall Warblers] (2)
Eastern Towhee (5+)
ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK (1 imm. male - Lifer!)
Red-winged Blackbird (didn't bother to count)
Boat-tailed Grackle (see above)
***
Elsewhere in the refuge (north of Picnic Pond only)...
--------------------------
Great Blue Heron (1)
Great Egret (40+ on HQ Pond)
Snowy Egret (10+ on HQ Pond)
Tricolored Heron (1)
Glossy Ibis (1)
Turkey Vulture (6, picking at what looked like seagull feathers)
Bald Eagle (2)
Common Moorhen (2+ ad., 3 juv., 5 downy on HQ Pond)
American Coot (150+ on Stony Bayou Pool)
Tree Swallow (dozens)
Northern Mockingbird (2-3)
Boat-tailed Grackle (everywhere)
Brown-headed Cowbird (1)